Purple is a non-partisan coalition, campaign and movement. We span the breadth of American society to rediscover and recommit to our democratic values and institutions.
It begins this November with a media and education campaign of unprecedented scope that will illuminate and dramatize the many glories of American democracy.
- More than 29% of the public recently expressed support
for either a “strong leader” or “army rule”. (1)
- In 2018 only 33% of the general population expressed trust for government. (2)
- Among 1400 young adults asked about the importance of democracy, only 39% said “absolutely important.” (3)
- 39 percent of Americans say our democracy is “in crisis” and 42 percent say it is facing serious challenges. (4)
(1) 2017 survey of 5000 voters by the Democracy Fund.
(2) The Edelman Trust Barometer 2018
(3) 2018 Democracy Project survey of 1400 adults, undertaken jointly by the Freedom House, the George W. Bush Institute, and the Penn Biden Center for Diplomacy and Global Engagement at the University of Pennsylvania.
(4) The 2019 Yankelovich Democracy Monitor Report.
No matter the politics of the day, American democracy demands participation, and suffers amid indifference and mistrust. The fall’s Purple campaign will be the leading edge of a movement to promote and reward citizen engagement in our communities at every level. Choose an analogy: Are we a refresher course, reminding us of how a democratic society functions? Yes. Are we a playlist of content that tells the American story? Yes. Are we engineers, aspiring to nothing less than a new social norm for active citzenship? Yes. Are we a 70s-style marriage encounter, helping us simply to fall in love with our democracy again? Yes. Maybe that above all. Along the way, we are literally building a brand, a Purple banner of proud participation to be hoisted by the many organizations and individuals already committed to the mutual goal of restoring faith in the American Way. That bears repeating: restoring faith in the American Way. There is hardly in the world a more pressing need. And there is surely no more worthy goal.Learn More About the Movement